Houston Arts Alliance (HAA) and the City of Houston (The City) support the community’s desire to place temporary works of art on City property. Each City Department has discretion over temporary art within its jurisdiction and sole responsibility to review matters of safety. At the request of the City Department, HAA will serve in an advisory capacity during the review process and recommend pieces for placement on their property. For projects proposed in the TXDot right-of-way, please email email@example.com for their additional guidelines.
The City may permit temporary placement of a work of art on City property for a period of time not to exceed 90 days, subject to the approval of the Director of the City Department having jurisdiction over the site upon which the work of art will be placed. The Director may extend the temporary placement for two consecutive periods of time not to exceed 90 days each, for a total of 270 days.
If the department determines that there is a safety issue, the organization or individual proposing the exhibition will be required to have an engineer’s seal. Drawings with an engineer’s seal will be required for
artwork consisting of vertical structures over eight feet, surfaces subject to
displacement by wind, structures requiring a foundation, sharp surfaces or any
other safety concern. These drawings can be submitted to HAA for review
after the project has been approved.
The cost of the installation and de-installation of the artwork will be paid by the applicant. The artist or proposing organization is responsible for maintenance and for any damage to the artwork during the time the artwork is on view. The applicant may also be required to pay a bond conditioned on the timely removal of the artwork.
Please note that this application is for outdoor works only. Should you like to propose a temporary display of work inside a City building, please contact the relevant City department directly.
2. Application Requirements
- Proposal letter (three-page maximum) including the following:
Photographic Documentation of the artwork, showing all views. For new works, please include detailed drawings or renderings; Up to 10 images. Artist C.V. or Resume; up to three pages;Drawings with an engineer’s seal will be required for artwork consisting of vertical structures over eight feet, surfaces subject to displacement by wind, structures requiring a foundation, sharp surfaces or any other safety concern.
- Contact information from the proposing artist or organization;
- Artwork description including: title and year completed, artist name, artwork medium/material, dimensions and weight. For video, performance and time-based media, artwork duration is also requested;
- Specific location(s) of proposed installation;
- Installation plan - specify materials, equipment and utilities to be used;
- Site maintenance plan - specify schedule and method of upkeep;
- A detailed timetable covering placement and removal of the artwork and a clear commitment for its timely removal and plan to return site to original condition.
All text documents should be in at least a 12 point font, single-spaced, with at least a ½” margin as Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) or Adobe PDF (.pdf). Images must be in Jpeg format. All files must be readable using Microsoft Windows.
3. Application Submission
To complete the application form and submit your application requirements, please visit: https://houstonartsalliance.submittable.com/submit
4. Submission Schedule
Due: Monthly, approximately 2 weeks before an HAA Civic Art Committee (CAC)
of Review Results: Monthly
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST
- Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST
- Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST
- Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST
note that CAC meeting dates are subject to change.
5. Review Process
- Submit a temporary art proposal to HAA using the Submittable application.
- Proposals will be reviewed by the HAA Civic Art Committee during their bi-monthly meeting. HAA will perform an aesthetic, content and material review of the proposal for the affected city department.
- Proposals which pass the review will be recommended to the affected City Department or to TXDot for installation.
- If the proposal is accepted by the affected City Department, a release from the artist or sponsoring organization on a form approved by the City Attorney will be required before installation can begin. If the Director of the affected City Department determines it advisable and requires it, a bond not to exceed $2,000.00 conditioned on the timely removal of the object shall be posted by the applicant.
- The affected City Department can issue a permit to install and display the artwork for a period of 90 days, at its own discretion.
- The artist or proposing organization will remove the artwork after 90 days and will return the site to its original condition.
PLEASE NOTE: HAA approval DOES
NOT guarantee approval by the City department. The affected City department has
final discretion over temporary art in their jurisdiction.
For questions or more information regarding the Application for Temporary Placement of Art on City Property, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.