**Please scroll down for the application**
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS AND ACQUISITIONS
HOUSTON ARTS ALLIANCE & UNITED AIRLINES
Project: Artworks for locations at United Airlines Terminal C North at George Bush Intercontinental Airport
Deadline: Materials must be received by Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Location: Houston, Texas
Eligibility: Houston area artists
The Civic Art Program is part of the City of Houston’s capital asset investments and produces permanent visual artworks. The City’s Civic Art Ordinance appropriates 1.75 percent of design and construction costs on qualifying City Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) projects and the Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs oversees the Program.
Through an agreement with United Airlines, Houston Arts Alliance invites artists living and working in the greater Houston area to submit qualifications for the selection of artworks to be located at United Terminal C North at George Bush Intercontinental Airport. Selected artwork will be prominently featured on various walls within the new United Airlines terminal. We are seeking 1) artist with existing artworks in various media and scale suitable to the locations listed in this RFQ and 2) artists to execute commissioned works designed specifically for identified locations within the terminal. Selected works will both embody and contribute to Houston’s status as a world-class cultural center. The original acquisitioned and commissioned artworks will become part of the City of Houston Art Collection and will be subject to the collection’s policies and procedures.
1. Project Objectives
Houston’s Civic Art Program provides residents and visitors access to over 650 artworks in the City Collection and contributes to Houston’s identity as an exciting cultural center as well as to the city’s economy. The Civic Art Program results in jobs and small business contracts to produce the very public artworks that contribute to Houston being a great place to live and visit.
United’s Shared Purpose:
- “Connecting people. Uniting the world.”
United’s Shared Values:
- We Fly Right: On the ground and in the air, we hold ourselves to the highest standards in safety and reliability. We earn trust by doing things the right way and delivering on our commitments every day.
- We Fly Friendly: Warm and welcoming is who we are.
- We Fly Together: As a united United, we respect every voice, communicate openly and honestly, make decisions with facts and empathy, and celebrate our journey together.
- We Fly Above and Beyond: With an ambition to win, a commitment to excellence, and a passion for staying a step ahead, we are unmatched in our drive to be the best.
The goal is to acquire or commission signature pieces of contemporary art for United Airlines’ new Terminal C North. By ‘contemporary,’ we mean works that represent today’s Houston in a manner that will speak to current visitors and future generations.
The total budget for all the acquisitioned and commissioned of works of art is $847,000. Final budget per artwork will be determined during the selection process.
3. ART OPPORTUNITIES/DRAFT SCOPE OF WORK
- Artworks will be located in areas approved by United Airlines. See site plan for details. The site plan is also available at www.houstonartsalliance.com on the Public Art page under Opportunities and Current Calls for Public Art.
- Artists are encouraged to think creatively about how to present works of art in the approved locations. This includes existing work, commissioned work, murals, digital artworks etc.
- All works need to be movable.
4. EVALUATION CRITERIA
- Artistic quality: Artists or artist-led teams are of the highest artistic caliber as demonstrated by examples of past work.
- Responsiveness: The artist’s submitted materials successfully demonstrate that the artist is capable of meeting the overall goals of the project, including creating an inviting space for visitors.
- Demonstrated technical abilities: Applicants demonstrate that the artist or artist-led team has the necessary capabilities to accomplish all artistic, technical, budgetary, and engineering aspects of the project and to have the project meld successfully with the surrounding space and architecture.
- Project management ability: Applicants demonstrate that they have the ability and the capacity to complete the project on a very tight schedule and within budget. Applicants exhibit their abilities to successfully collaborate with the architects and the contractor and to establish sufficient relationships with potential vendors and manufacturers.
- This call is open to artists in the greater Houston area.
- There shall be no discrimination against any person or group of persons on account of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military status, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Staff members, board members, advisory board members, family members of Houston Arts Alliance and United Airlines are ineligible.
- Artists or other entities that are currently under contract or in contract negotiations with Houston Arts Alliance for projects of over $100,000 are ineligible.
- Applications not meeting all the eligibility criteria will be withdrawn from consideration.
6. PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
- All artists will be required to sign a VARA waiver as a part of their contract.
- All artworks will be installed by an art handling company hired by Houston Arts Alliance.
- Artists who are registered as a MBE, WBE, and/or SBE are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Those who qualify as MBE, WBE and/or SBE but who are not registered by the City of Houston can find more information on certification, please click on this link: http://www.houstontx.gov/obo/certification_overview.html
7. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Resumes or company information of artist(s) and team members (3 pages maximum each).
- Letter of intent that includes contact information and describes how the artist or artist team meets the criteria listed in the RFQ (1,000 words maximum).
- Biography/artist statement (500 words maximum).
- Work examples (20 maximum). Digital images of works that demonstrate the above criteria. Only JPEGs up to 5 MB.
- Image list for work examples, including artist, title, year completed, dimensions, material, and budget or price (as applicable) for each image uploaded. Please note which works are available for purchase.
- Contact information for three professional references (1 page maximum).
- All documents should be in at least a 12 point font, single-spaced, and with at least a ½” margin.
- To submit, visit https://houstonartsalliance.submittable.com/submit.
Please note that all dates are subject to change without notice.
- Friday, November 9, 2019: RFQ released
- Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 11 a.m. CST: Artist information session at Brown Auditorium, Museum of Fine Arts Houston**
- Monday, December 10, 2018 at 1 p.m. CST: Artist information session at Houston Arts Alliance**
- Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. CST: Artist information session at Houston Arts Alliance**
- Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. CST: RFQ and RFA submission deadline
- By Friday, January 18, 2019: RFQ and RFA notification; RFP released to finalists
- By Thursday, February 8, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. CST: RFP deadline
- By Friday, February 15, 2019: RFP selection panel (including artist in person presentations)
- By Monday, February 18, 2019: Selected artists presented to United Airlines for approval
- By Friday, February 22, 2019: Finalists notified in writing by HAA
- By Friday, March 1, 2019: Purchase orders and contracting complete
- By Friday, March 15, 2019: Consultation with client representatives
- March 2019: Project development
- April 2019: Final written approval of artist final design(s)
- April – September 2019: Fabrication
- September 2019: Delivery and installation
- October 2019: Completion and project close out
**Register for an Artist Information Session here: https://houstonartsalliance.wufoo.com/forms/p1db2cbs0uvewqr/
If you have questions, please submit them in writing via email no later than Friday, January 4, 2019 at noon CST to email@example.com. Questions will be answered as they are received and by no later than 5:00 p.m. CST on Friday, January 4, 2019.